Some claim that the papain causes feces to taste really bad, however this is not proven and it is most likely its digestive qualities that produces positive results.
A word of caution
– Many meat tenderizers also contain MSG (Monosodium glutamate) which is classified as being ‘safe for consumption’ for humans, but is not without controversy. Many people complain of a vast array of symptoms including: headache, flushing (hot spell), sweating, facial numbness, numbness in extremities, cheat pain, nausea and/or weakness. For this reason, we recommend avoiding any that contain MSG.
One brand that is safe, with no MSG at all, is ★★★Adolph's meat tenderizer and it does contain the Papain that can help coprophagia issues.
– Pumpkin (canned real fruit, not the pie filling) has long been an at-home treatment for dogs in regard to vomiting, diarrhea and other intestinal distress. Some claim that this works to stop a dog from eating his stools. However, just like the papain and pineapple, the reason for working with some Poodles is due to helping the digestive tract move along as it should.
There are several popular canine supplements intended to treat coprophagia. As mentioned, some do work very well for some Poodles. They are meant to taste just fine (or are tasteless) going in, but then make bowel movements taste really horrible. Since these are not costly, they are worth trying. Here are the most popular ones in order of rating (with our rating system of 1 through 5 stars):
- This is a purified protein feed, that causes an unappetizing taste to stool as it is travels through a dog’s digestive tract. Its active ingredients are Wheat Gluten, Monosodium Glutamate (MSG). As mentioned above, MSG is controversial and may cause unwanted and negative reactions.
- These are chewable tablets with the active ingredients of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) and Oleoresin Capsicum (this is the base ingredient of pepper spray but is also used as a food additive in spicy foods). Not recommended due to the MSG.
★★★ Potty Mouth
- This has no MSG. The ingredients are Brewers Yeast, Cayenne, Biotin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6 Niaciamide, Iron and Copper. These are easily chewable tablets and reasonably priced.
★★★★ NaturVet Coprophagia Deterrent Soft Chews
– These are all natural chews and work very well for many dogs. Active ingredients are Yucca Schidigera, Parsley Leaf, an Enzyme Blend and Chamomile.
It also contains Brewer’s Dried Yeast, Canola Oil, Dried Potato Product, Flaxseed, Glutamic Acid, Glycerin, Lecithin, Mixed Tocopherols, Natural Flavoring, Rosemary Extract, Sorbic Acid, Tapioca Starch, Vegetable Oil, and Water.
What’s great about this product is that one variety of it also works to freshen a dog’s breath, which is always a plus.